Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 18, 2010 ~ Je ne sais pas (I don't know)

Bonjour à tous!
This week flew by! This e-mail will be short because the cafe closes for the night soon. We had a lot of success contacting this week, now we just need to get more lessons taught! We set up so many rendez-vous, but they often fall through. But we're not worried about it. There are definitely many elect people here, and we're teaching some of them. One of them is a couple from Portugal named Jacinto and Dina. They're some of the nicest people I've ever met! Two sundays ago, we went to pick up Jacinto for church, but he told us his family told him not to talk to us anymore and that he didn't want to see us anymore. We knew that Dina was out of a job and looking, so we searched around and asked the members for some help finding a job for her. We found a lot of sources and we just stopped by one night during the week and showed them what we found. Before we left, we asked Jacinto if he would be interested in receiving more lessons, and he responded with an enthusiastic yes! So we taught them again this week and Jacinto attended church with us! I learned a great lesson from this: ALWAYS be looking for ways to SERVE others!!! I know that Jacinto's heart was softened because of our efforts to help Dina find a job. As a representative of Jesus Christ, I should always be "going about doing good" just as He did. I know that simple service is one of the most powerful ways to show someone that we love them. I love the quote by President Hinckley, I'm not quite sure of the exact quote, but something along the lines of, "Do you want to be happy? Lose yourself in this work and in the service of others!" I know that the best way to find happiness is to stop thinking about ourselves and start thinking of others! When we serve others we see that everyone needs help with their problems, not just ourselves, and soon we forget ourselves and our own problems and find happiness in helping others! And of course, when we're serving others, we're serving God and doing His work!I've met all kinds of people this week. It's insane how many people I talk to just in one day. I've met a lot of interesting people too. We met a man and his son on the street today who were delighted to chat with us. Both of them were sporting Van Halen shirts. They told us they were Catholic and weren't really interested in our Church, but the Dad told us he plays in a band called "Les Electriques Mormons" (The Electric Mormons) hahaha. There's a band name for ya! I wonder how they came up with that one. He didn't tell us that anyone in his band is Mormon. It's got a good ring to it though! Also, we were on the bus the other day contacting people, when this lady signaled me to come towards her. I came over as she fiddled around in her purse. Finally she pulled out this big badge, flashed it at me, and told me it was illegal to talk to people about God on the bus haha. We told her it was a public place and that we have every right to! Anyways, that was interesting. This week is going to be crazy. I think I'm going on exchange twice. Once will be with one of the Zone leaders, Elder Wilson. That will be awesome! Well the cafe is closing now. I love you all! Thanks for everything that you do and for all your support. Dieu vous benisse! Ciao!

Love,
Elder Tudor

No comments:

Post a Comment