Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 6, 2010 ~ Hullo There

Bonjour! So guess what? I'm going to France next week! Just kidding... But, I AM going to San Francisco on Wednesday the 11th! In order to get our visas to France, we have to make a "personal appearance" at the French Consulate in San Francisco. We leave at 5 a.m. and get back some time that night. It should be interesting! I hear that you can get out and contact people for awhile because there's some down time. I'm excited! I love the MTC. It's a strange place though. It feels like one, long, never-ending day. I can't believe I've been here over a week, but at the same time, I can't believe I've only been here just over a week! It's weird. The laundry room here is insane. There's way too many people doing their laundry at the same time, so it's impossible to get a washer. And when people see that someone else's clothes are done washing, they take them out and put them in a random dryer, so a lot of people can't find their clothes. Madness. The MTC is also strange in that every little thing here is hilarious. I don't think I've laughed this hard so much in one week. I think part of it is that we're all super tired. I love it though, plus my district is hilarious. There are so many different personalities and the funniest things go on! We all enjoy singing though. Two days ago, I got everyone to sing parts during our hymn before class started (we only sing hymns in French, which is pretty awesome)... Now we're all harmonizing in the showers! (usually to hymns or disney songs) It actually sounds pretty good. Our teacher, Frere Drean (Frere means brother in French) said that we'll start getting weird and making jokes that relate to church subjects. I was the first one this happened to. We were having a discussion at lunch a couple days ago about whether Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip was superior, and I said that Mayonnaise was the great and abominable church and that Miracle Whip was the restored gospel. Probably the dumbest joke I've ever made, but for some reason we all laughed for five minutes. Go figure! I had a really cool experience at the TRC on Wednesday. I'm not sure what TRC stands for, but it's where you go teach a lesson to volunteer investigators. My companion and I were pretty nervous going in. First we got to contact three different people in French. One of them was a black guy from Haiti. He spoke some crazy fast French, but I actually had a conversation with him and in less than five minute I explained in French that Joseph Smith restored Christ's church to the earth. I don't know how I did it. We ended up teaching two girls and a guy (all in their lower 20's). Luckily, we got to teach the lesson in English. We taught the first lesson, which is about the restoration. It went really really well! We got them to committ to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it's truth, and also to pray to know if what we taught them about the restoration was true. They were all pretty receptive, but the guy had a few tough questions that I somehow answered to his satisfaction. I know it's just a role play, but it's amazing how strong the spirit was while we were teaching. My eyes even started watering! It was really awesome, and my testimony of the guiding power of the Holy Ghost was definitely strengthened. I love the scripture in D&C 100 that says the Spirit will give you what to say in the very moment you need it, and it really did. We had a plan for our lesson, but we said so many things that we hadn't necessarily planned. It was definitely better than what we had planned though! A few times, after I said something, I wondered to myself, "where did that come from?" Pretty amazing. I know that if we make an effort to share His message, the Lord will help us and give us words to say!I love this Gospel. I'm already so excited to get out in the field and find and teach those who are searching for the truth. It's hard to imagine what living without the Gospel would be like. It has blessed me so so much, and I want everyone to have it! The most important thing we can do with our time on earth is spread the truth. This is exactly where I'm supposed to be. I miss you all! The church is true.

LOTS OF LOVE!

Elder Tudor

No comments:

Post a Comment