Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 24, 2011

Bapteme!


Wow, I can't believe I'm already at the end of another transfer. Next time I write, I could be in another ville! We'll see what happens. But what an awesome week! Marcelline was baptized, and although the baptism was a near disaster, it ended up being a beautiful event! Elder Graham and I had a rendez-vous before the baptism, so we arrived about 20 minutes before it was about to start, and there were only a few members there, and Marcelline wasn't there yet. That made me pretty nervous, but I figured she would show up soon and I went and changed into my baptismal clothes. Then while I was changing, I was informed that they were about to do construction on teh baptismal font, and they had cut all the hot water lines, so all the water in the building was as cold as ice. Then I went to the font to see how cold it was, and there was NO water in it!! The person in charge of filling it up hadn't even started yet, and at this point, the baptismal service was supposed to start in 10 minutes (it takes a good 45 minutes to fill up). So we started filling it up with the ice cold water, praying that it would be full enough before the baptism. Then we were afraid that it would be too cold for Marcelline, so we put two giant multigallon pots full of water on the stove in the kitchen and started boiling them (that comes into play later). So the font was filling up and Marcelline had arrived finally (about 10 minutes after we were suppsoed to start haha, but that's ok because all the members were late too). So at this point we were late, and the font wasn't full, but at least the baptism looked like it was going to happen after all. The baptismal font in this chapel can be accessed from the changing rooms behind the font (for the person baptizing and the person being baptized) but there is a cover that hides it from the actual room where everyone stands to watch the baptism. So, I went to press the button that electronically lifts up this cover - and it didn't work. We tried lifting it up by hand, but that didn't work either. So now we had a font with freezing cold water that could be seen by no one because the cover was broken. You could say I was a little stressed out at this point! But Elder Dorton, Sister Enyegue, and I said a prayer just pleading that everythign would work out somehow. The baptismal service was about to start at this point, so I went in and sat with Marcelline so the service could start while the other missionaries and a few ward members tried to figure out how to open that cover. I was praying so hard during the beginning of that service that they would be able to do it haha. I was just imagining us all walking in there for the baptism and no one would even be able to see the font! So the service started, and we heard two great talks about baptism and the Holy Ghost, then it was time. At this point I realized that I hadn't even asked Marcelline for her full name yet (because I have to say it during the baptismal prayer), but I asked her and luckily she only has one middle name. I was worried she would have 5 crazy Madagascian (?) middle names that I would never be able to pronounce or memorize haha. We walked into the baptismal room, and our prayers had been answered! Somehow they had opened the font cover! My next worry was the water temperature. The other Elders took those two giant pots of boiling water and poured them in the font right before we got in to make it a little warmer. But that water was still as cold as a mountain lake!!! I got in and tried not to show on my face how cold it was. Marcelline got knee deep, stopped, and started saying "Oooh la! c'est froid!" I wouldn't have blamed her for running out of that font at that piont, because it was seriously cold! But then she stepped forward again and got in with me. We were both shaking haha. I started the ordinance as fast as I could so she could get out of the freezing water. It was so cold I couldn't even think! But as soon as I started saying the prayer, everything went calm, and the cold didn't bother me anymore. Maybe my voice was still trembling from the cold haha, but I didn't notice. The baptism was well done the first time, so we didn't have to re-do it, thankfully! We then changed and finished the service. Marcelline gave a short, and super sweet testimony right before the closing prayer. It was a beautiful baptsim! And I know Heavenly Father was looking out for us there, because so many things were going wrong! But Elder Call told me after that "it's not a baptism if nothing goes wrong" haha. It was amazing to see the joy in Marcelline's face after her baptism. She never complained once about the cold water either. She's a soldier! I'm so excited for her. She has made so many friends at the church and has really been able to restart. What an honor and joy it is to see the Gospel change peoples' lives. Elder Call gave her the gift of the Holy Ghost the next day and she was confirmed a member of the church. The last part for her now is what we are all trying to do, which is to Endure to the End! I know she has taken her covenant seriously and that she can do it. I can't wait to see her progress in the Gospel and help those around her endure to the end as well. Baptism is the gate by which we enter and only the beginning! Let's all remember that and strive to keep our covenants that we have made with the Lord by taking upon us His name and keeping his commandments so that we can attain eternal life. Well I'm out of time, but have a great week everyone! I love and miss you all!

Love,
Elder Tudor

No comments:

Post a Comment