Monday, December 13, 2010

December 13, 2010

Edvin's Baptism
Bonjour à tous!
This Saturday, I had the sacred opportunity to attend Edvin's baptism. It was incredible! It was my first time seeing a baptism on my mission. The service was amazing and the Spirit was so strong. So many members showed up to support him, and his mom, brother, and one of his friends came too! We started by singing Joy to The World (he loves Christmas Hymns haha), then we heard a couple talks from members about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Then Elder Blosil performed the baptism, and another member and I were the witnesses. After that, Edvin told us he wanted to take the opportunity to share his testimony. I was truly touched by his testimony. He is a spiritual giant, and he has been prepared from the foundation of the world! He invited the rest of his family to be baptized during his testimony. He wants them to experience what he has so badly. We've actually already started teaching his family. During the baptism I was reflecting on the progress that he has made in the past month. I thought of the crucial moments in his conversion, and it was always when he said he felt the Holy Ghost confirm his prayer or comfort him when he needed it. I better realized my role as a missionary. All we did was teach, bear testimony, and invite. As he made the efforts on his part by keeping his committments, it was the Spirit that converted him and confirmed to him that the Book of Mormon was true, or that Joseph Smith was a prophet, or that he needed to be baptized. All we did was invite, and the Spirit, along with his efforts, did the rest. I also reflected on what will become of him after his baptism. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is Faith, Repentance, Baptism, reception of the Holy Ghost, and ENDURE TO THE END. The baptism was amazing, but I'm even more excited for him to endure to the end - to become an awesome member, go to the temple, serve a mission, etc. Baptism isn't the end, it's just the beginning, and the Gospel is all about improving yourself every day. I'm so excited for him! And I pray that he will continue to endure and progress in the Gospel. Sunday, I had the opportunity to participate in the conferring of the Gift of the Holy Ghost (which was done by one of the members who Edvin has become friends with). Edvin told us he instantly felt the difference and he felt the companionship of the Holy Ghost. So cool! That night we ate at a member's house and we invited him to come with us. On the bus ride over, I mentioned to him that he could serve a mission if he wanted to (he's 20). As soon as I said that he got super excited, and he wou ldn't stop talking about it! Then at the member's house, the member asked him what he's doing right now in life. He told her that he's gonna finish some school, then serve a mission. What??? He's the man! We explained to him a little more how it works on the way home and he's going to talk to the bishop about it and all. He can't at least for a year I think, but he's ok with that. What a stud. He talks to all his friends about the Gospel already. He's an amazing example to me of humbleness and willingness to follow and serve the Lord. Elder Blosil and I can't stop talking about it. It's interesting how when people are truly converted, they just want to share it with everyone else! He reminds me of Alma and the Sons of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon. I can't wait to find more like him! I'm out of time, so til next week! I love you all! Happy Holidays!

Love,
Elder Tudor

No comments:

Post a Comment